Most people have a love / hate relationship with Speed Keys, regardless of the software program. But they’re called Speed Keys for a reason – they can save you lots of time with repetitive functions.
You should get into the habit of using a few basic Speed Key Combinations: Once you start to memorize these, you’ll significantly increase the speed with which you work.
There are hundreds of speed key combinations — Don’t be over-whelmed, as you only need a handful. The 10 shown below are the ones that I believe you’ll find the most useful – and to me, essential.
Here are the 10 Essential Speed Keys (Mac in Parentheses), and what they do:
To Save your File:
• Control (Command) + ” S “ – Save your File
To View your File:
• Control (Command) + ” + “ – Enlarge Image Size
• Control (Command) + ” – “ – Reduce Image Size
• Control (Command) + ” 0 “ – Fit to Monitor Screen
• “F” Key – Toggle through Standard & Full Screen Modes
• “Tab” Key – Toggle to Show/Hide all Panels
Navigation though your file:
• “Navigator” Panel – Drag with mouse to desired location
• “Space Bar” Key + Left Mouse Button – Drag with mouse to desired location
• “Arrow” Keys – Use to make small changes in:
a) numerical values in menus
b) position of crop guides while using crop tool
• Control (Command) + “Z” – Undo a History Step -Works in more than just Photoshop!
By the way, feel free to copy this page, or you can print the Speed Keys out (and more!) here:
… more on the Workflow Chart for Photographers:
… and here are more free useful downloads for photographic post-processing:
• Want to see Photoshop in action? Check out my “Photoshop 101” series of FREE online & live Photoshop Meetups – available nationwide:
• Was this information helpful?
Sign up for my free monthly newsletter here …
• Oh, and yes – all of this is part of my book designed for photographers, “Not just another Photoshop Book”, available exclusively on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HNLS1Q2
Questions? Comments? Lemme know, I’m here to help …
Thx again, and cheers!
2 thoughts on “Not a Fan of Photoshop Speed Keys? Here are the 10 Essential Ones …”
This is a really good tip particularly to those fresh to the blogosphere.
Brief but very accurate information… Thanks for sharing this
one. A must read article!
Some genuinely choice articles on this website, saved to my bookmarks.